It’s been a couple of weeks since I last posted any kind of update, or posted in general really, so thought I’d do a quick update on how things are progressing.
Firstly, and perhaps most importantly, Indigenous will be renamed to Indiepass when I complete this re-write. With the level of internal references to indigenous in the current code bases, this is the easiest point to fully rename the app without causing any potential issues or breaking the app in the process.
After making a couple of attempts with a Cordova based Workflow, and proceeding to experiment with other similar tools aimed at cross-platform development, I have finally settled on using flutter for building the new version.
Flutter is a Google owned framework based in Dart, and allows for targeting both desktop and mobile devices from one codebase, and also devices such as the Nest Hub which I may experiment with at a later date.
Settling on Flutter also makes it easier for me to use the current Android app as a base point of reference for development, as for the time being I’m wanting to keep things similar, but improved and/or updated as necessary. In particular the library of plugins available allows me to tackle long standing feature requests such as media posting, and if nothing else, make it a lot slicker for me to take a photo and post it directly to my site without having to do any additional steps.